Sep 18, 2020
Pain au BeurreI first had this bread when my host mom, here on Reunion Island made it for her son's first birthday along with a cup of hot chaudeau (chodo), which is a common drink among the french caribbean islands commonly called the west indies or les antilles, and my oh my. I must say, i fell in love with this beautiful, rich butter bread. From the smell, to the texture and the taste. It was heaven in a bite! A foodgarsm so powerful, that i immediately had to know how to make it along with the creamy chaudeau drink. So of course I asked for the recipes, went online to do a bit more research and voila! After enjoying this bread a few times here is my take on what worked best for me.
- 1kg all purpose flour
- 3 tbspns sugar
- 1 tspn salt
- 250gms butter
- 3 tbspns instant yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 100ml milk
- 80ml water
- Pour the milk and water into a bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds to make it warm.
- Add in the sugar and salt and stir to dissolve. And in the yeast and eggs. Mix well and let the mixture sit aside.
- In a different bowl, pour in the flour and the butter that has been cut up into small cubes. Mix the two until you have a crumbly sort of dough. Slowly add in the egg mixture will kneading the dough. Add flour as needed.
- When you have a soft solid dough, add some vegetable oil making sure it is completely covering the dough. Cover the bowl with a cloth and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, knead your dough again, cover it and set it aside for 15 minutes.
- Cover your kneading surface with flour. Divide your dough into 6 equal portions and roll them into long strands of about 40cm. take one end of the 3 strands, press them together and start braiding secure the end by pressing the 3 strands down and tucking them under the braid. Repeat the same process for the other 3 strands. Using a scissors, make random small snips to the surface of the braids.
Place the two braids in a ‘C’ shape on a baking
tray lined with parchment paper and with adequate space in between. Pre-heat
your oven at 180 C for 30minutes while the dough rests.
In a small bowl mix the egg yolk with about a tablespoon of milk and lightly brush the surface of the dough. Put it in the oven and bake for 35 minutes until the surface is a nice golden brown.
- In a small bowl mix the egg yolk with about a tablespoon of milk and lightly brush the surface of the dough. Put it in the oven and bake for 35 minutes until the surface is a nice golden brown.
I find that this bread tastes amazing with a hot drink, a soup or even just by itself. Savory or sweet, you can't go wrong with it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.